Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My amazing side project

Alright, that title is a bit of an overstatement.  In fact, I don’t exactly have a “side project” right now, unless you call watching too much Idol a side project or uh…writing this blog.  But yeah, apparently, I need a side project!  Read on...

According to Austin Kleon’s cool and much passed around article How To Steal Like An Artist, side projects are important and “it’s the side projects that blow up.”  I hope that means I’m gonna win American Idol next season!  On a slightly more serious note, Lifehacker also mentioned side projects in an article last week as a way to make your procrastination more productive (you’re gonna procrastinate anyway, so why not improve yourself/learn some skill you need for success while you’re doing it?).  So yeah, again, I guess need a side project.  But what should it be?  Or...do I already have one?

My latest "amazing" side project?

I’m thinking maybe my reading more novels = write a novel?  I’m already in a sort of impromptu book club with my friend. Maybe I can focus my future reading selections to help me sharpen my own novel writing skills?  I mean...I have been interested in writing a novel for a while, and I talk about it a lot (I've kinda mentioned it on this blog beforeish).  But, I always seem to put it off.  But...maybe I shouldn't anymore.  I mean, I did write a summary and character bios and everything…however...writing a novel is a pretty big “side” project...but hey, go big or go home...I guess?

Anyway, yeah, if I get a new side project in the new future, I think I'll actually write/finish that novel...but only after I finish my newest spec…wouldn't want to waste the 15+ hours of current show episodes I watched to catch up this past week…I guess you can call all that TV watching "productive" procrastination from actually writing (I know I will!).

No comments:

Post a Comment