Friday, January 7, 2011

Winning the lotto

Earlier this week, I bought a lotto ticket for the first time in several years (and I wasn't the only one).  The Mega Millions was up to 355 million and after taxes that's 200 some million.  I didn't win, and that's way more money than I'd know what to do with, but I had a few ideas on how to spend it.  That being said, I don't like to play the lotto because the odds are astronomical while the promise of "it can happen to you" can suck you into spending lots of dollars on quick picks.  I much prefer contests where some skill is involved, or gambling games where I feel like I have some control over the results.  That's probably why I've tried my "luck" by sending my work off to several writing programs and competitions over the years.  Hey, one almost panned out.
I guess this is my way to get around to saying the last thing I'll say about moving/not moving to LA.  My last post talked about connections as a way to solve the problem of wanting to be a working writer but living in the wrong city.  Honestly, connections are important to anyone who wants to get paid to write, regardless of city, but when you're a baby writer lacking connections, there's one more option, and that's CONTESTS!
If connections are the secret handshake to get past an industry doorman, contests are the battering ram to break down the door.  You could be Joe Schmoe one day, win the Nicholl the next, and suddenly have agents blowing up your phone asking to meet.  Many Non-LA (but mostly LA) baby writers have sent their work off to prestigious and reputable contests, competitions, festivals, and writing workshops/fellowships to launch their careers.
Now, applying for stuff gets tricky because good contests are SUPER competitive AND there’s about a bazillion contests that will just plain scam you.  I’ve listed several contests that I think are reputable/worthwhile under CONTESTS AND STUFF on the right.  But, just like lotto quick picks, you shouldn't go crazy.  While some are free (huge plus) most charge a reasonable fee to enter.  Don't crank out something mediocre and waste a bunch of money sending it everywhere and don't apply to contests in areas outside your interest (I'm looking at YOU baby writer who applies to TV fellowships despite not actually wanting to write for TV).  After all, some of these contests have an interview/vetting process, and if you aren't serious, you don't stand a chance (this is mostly for the TV fellowships, but even the Nicholl has a small additional vetting process for finalists).
So yeah, that's pretty much my final word to baby writers who won't come to LA.  But, I warn you, lots of baby writers who DO live in LA (like me) will also be sending scripts off to all of these contests, and the ones that are programs often want people who have industry savvy and experience.  Being a baby writer with the wrong zip code might hurt your chances in the eyes of the contest deciders.

No comments:

Post a Comment