Thursday, January 20, 2011

Malcolm Gladwell - advice for aspiring writers


In a previous post I expressed my enthusiasm for Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers, and cited that book's 10,000 hour rule as a good reason why you should write daily or put more hours into your writing.  

Last week, Big Think released a short video where Gladwell gives advice to aspiring writers (click the link to see the video or read the transcript).  The basic gist of what Gladwell says (or all of what he says since the video is only about 2 minutes long) is that writers and creative types in general need to learn to embrace chaos and not edit themselves.  In contrast, a surgeon probably shouldn't let his/her mind wander too much while in the middle of a procedure.  Simple enough, makes sense, and I can totally understand how over-editing yourself might keep you from writing something great/new/totally original.  

The only problem I have with Gladwell's advice is that it's pretty general (understandable, it's just a short video) and I'm left with more questions than answers.  For example, how does letting your mind wander connect with the reality of having to produce a product?  I mean, it's great to brainstorm, have a vivid imagination, not throw out any idea as it comes to you, but at some point it IS necessary for a writer to focus and complete a project.  

Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but it's a problem I struggle with personally.  I think I have a sort of writer's ADD where I endlessly start (but don't finish) projects and I think it's partly because I always have tons of half baked ideas floating around.  Since I don't focus and embrace chaos TOO much, it's easy for me to put projects aside and say: "When I know how to end that, or when the inspiration strikes for how to write that scene, I'll do it."  But it doesn't always happen, or I'm not thinking about it because I'm on to something new.  Maybe continuing to embrace chaos while making more time for writing will allow me to both keep all the ideas I get (or save them for later) while giving me more time/space to complete projects.  Like how a room full of monkeys typing into infinity might eventually produce Hamlet, me typing into infinity might eventually produce a finished script...or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment