Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Z's Pilot Preview: This is it!

So, I wrote this post weeks ago and was all set to post next Monday when upfronts began, but Fox started announcing pickups tonight so I figured I better post now before this whole thing becomes obsolete.

So yeah, the upfronts are upon us …and this Pilot Preview business was much harder than I thought it would be.  For my final predictions, I wanted to say what I’d pick, and also do a little Oscar Ballot type action.

Some networks have bigger holes to fill than others depending on how many shows they expect to cancel/have already canceled this last year (The CW not so many, ABC, almost all).

We’ll see what happens, and when I’m less busy I’ll take time to look over what actually got picked up and see where I went right and where I went wrong.

Finally! Shut up about pilots already!

ABC

Will pick up: a lot…at least 7 maybe 8 new dramas.

What I’d LIKE to see picked up:
  • Georgetown
  • The show fka Good Christian Bitches
  • Grace
  • Hallelujah
  • Once Upon A Time
  • Pan Am
  • Poe
  • Scandal (AKA new Shonda Rimes fka Damage Control)
What I think WILL get picked up:
All but three of those and replace with…
  • Charlie’s Angels
  • Identity
  • The River
Bottom Line:
ABC seems to have the strongest lineup of scripts, good thing because they seem to have the most spots to fill.  I’m happy that I think they’ll pick up most (maybe even all) of the shows I like but my selections lean pretty girly and I think The River is pretty much a lock, despite my issues with that type of show.  I also think Charlie’s Angels, unfortunately, has a leg up, and I think they'll also want something serious and more procedural like Identity.  I’d usually say look to an expensive “period” show like Poe or Pan Am to get the axe first, but I hear they’re very well liked.  On the other hand, Grace and Scandal 2 shows I was excited about and thought were iron clad to go might be a tad more on the bubble than I thought due to some mediocre buzz.  Tough call...too many good sounding shows!

CBS

Will pick up: about 4 new dramas

What I’d LIKE to see picked up:
  • Rookies
  • The Doctor
  • The Rememberer
  • Untitled Susannah Grant
What I think WILL get picked up:
Rookies and one other will stay but they’ll scrap the other two and instead take…
  • Hail Mary
  • Person of Interest
Bottom Line:
While I’d rather see CBS move away from the CIA stuff and funny crime stuff and take a chance on two medical procedurals, I think they’d rather have a JJ Abrams show and a Minnie Driver show.  In the end, I was so confident about The Doctor a month ago, but with so few spots, maybe I jumped to conclusions too soon and maybe the Susannah Grant doctor show will get the spot instead...or neither will go.

NBC

Will pick up: around 5 new dramas

What I’d LIKE to see picked up:
  • 17th Precinct OR A Mann’s World
  • Playboy
  • Prime Suspect
  • Smash
  • Metro (fka SILA)
What I think WILL get picked up:
All of those except 17th Precinct/A Mann’s World… swap for…
  • Wonder Woman
Bottom Line:
I think things are actually looking up for NBC.  While their pilots seemed a little all over the place, I think they have a couple shows I’m really into (Smash sounds really fun).  I’d like to see them steer clear of Wonder Woman and do something original…but I doubt they’ll want to take that gamble...nor should they.  I mean, why not try Wonder Woman?  If it flops, whatever, they tried.  If it’s a hit, then they've got a hit Wonder Woman show, which would likely be a big hit.

FOX

Will pick up: 4-5 new dramas including Terra Nova which has already got the go ahead.

What I’d LIKE to see picked up:
  • Alcatraz
  • The Finder
  • Touch
  • Weekends at Bellevue
What I think WILL get picked up:
Like I said, they already picked up Alcatraz and The Finder but announced Weekends at Bellevue was dead.  Not too surprising.  I think Touch will get picked up for midseason and I figured they’d ditch Weekends at Bellevue for…
  • Exit Strategy
Buuut…since Touch would only be for midseason (maybe even next year) maybe they’ll pick up 5 new dramas in addition to Terra Nova so that makes room for Locke & Key…but I see Locke & Key running last.

Bottom Line: I see Exit Strategy in that last open slot and Locke & Key getting the shaft unless they pick up one additional show/do something different like air it as a movie.  I'd like to see fewer CIA shows (I think they're kinda out) but I think Exit Strategy will end up on the air one way or another.

THE CW

Will pick up: as few as 2 new shows (to replace LUX and Smallville) and as many as 4 or 5 depending on One Tree Hill (I think WILL come back) and Nikita/Hellcats. For now though, let’s just assume only 2 new shows.

What I’d LIKE to see picked up:
  • Hart of Dixie
  • The Secret Circle

What I think WILL get picked up:
I actually think these are the two that will go. If there is one more spot I’d expect Nikita to be cancelled before Hellcats and replaced with…
  • Awakening
But yeah, I'd lean towards only the 2 new shows.

Bottom Line: Looks pretty good for The CW.  Only a couple spots to fill and I think they’ve got two solid and obvious shows for both spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment