Monday, June 6, 2011

Z's Pilot Preview: The Final Frontier

Alright, my final “Pilot Preview” post...finally.

Not really a “preview” now that shows have been decided and whatnot, just a chance to look at how things all shaped up by network (oh, and don’t think this is my last post about the upcoming TV season, I’m sure I’ll be dissecting trends and making other random comments about what got picked up and what didn’t before next fall).

Yeah, okay, so maybe I have no life...

ABC

I said they’d pick up: 7-8 new dramas

They actually picked up: 8...
Charlie’s Angels
Good Christian Belles (not Bitches)
Missing (the big Ashley Judd show that was kinda off my radar bc it hasn’t filmed yet)
Once Upon A Time
Pan Am
Revenge
Scandal (liked the title Damage Control better, but whatevs)
The River

How do I feel?: Meh, okay, 4/8 were shows I said I liked best, though the trailer for Once Upon A Time...wasn't what I thought it would be.

How did I do?: I was iffyier on this, but of the 3 shows I thought they’d pick up for sure, I got 2 right (Charlie’s Angels and The River).  So, you could say I picked 6/8 right, but that’s pushing it.

Most excited for: GCB I guess…I thought ABC’s pilots sounded the best going into this but the trailers didn’t impress me much…Once Upon A Time specifically looks...not how I expected…and Revenge still looks like it’s on the wrong network while Scandal falls short of my expectations and Pan Am looks glossy…but what’s it really about?

Biggest Disappointment: I thought Once Upon A Time sounded really cool…and the buzz was good…I liked it while not being into NBC’s Grimm but now both aren’t doing much for me.  Also, I’d heard great things about Georgetown…sorry to see it just fade away.

Biggest Surprise: Probably the shows that didn’t go…ABC turned their back on a show by Marc Cherry (Hallelujah) and a dancing show by Grey’s writer Krista Vernoff (Grace) as well as Georgetown all of which had a ton of early buzz.

Overall: Actually, kinda disappointed considering that ABC’s pilots sounded the best going into this…the trailers just didn’t deliver for me.  Something tells me next year might be another big regrouping year for the network.

CBS

I said they’d pick up: 4 new dramas

They actually picked up: 4...
A Gifted Man (fka Untitled Susannah Grant)
Person of Interest
The 2-2 (fka Rookies)
Unforgettable (fka The Rememberer)

How do I feel?: Very good, 3/4 that I wanted.

How did I do?: I was a little iffy on this…I was right about Person of Interest being a lock but Hail Mary didn’t actually go (although I guess it’s still kicking around…potentially in cableland).

Most excited for: Meh, I probably won’t watch any of these…not that they’re bad, just none are my cup of tea, but all look pretty spot on for CBS, which is great.

Biggest Disappointment: I guess that I was so wrong about The Doctor…the Rina Mimoun, David Nutter directed Christine Lahti pilot just faded away, and CBS took the other medical pilot A Gifted Man (which looks kinda silly to me…but who knows, I liked the show Providence and that had a similar premise, so maybe it will be okay).

Biggest Surprise: The Doctor just dying…and actually that I enjoyed the preview for Person Of Interest…like quite a bit.  Blame it on Michael Emerson for being so freaking amazing in everything he does.

FOX

I said they’d pick up: 4-5 new dramas including Terra Nova

The actually picked up: 4 including Terra Nova...
Alcatraz
Terra Nova
The Finder
Touch

How do I feel?: Very Good, they picked 3/4 of the shows I wanted to see most.

How did I do?: 3/4 right…pretty darn good, not that there were too many pilots in contention on Fox.  Still wondering if they’ll make room for Exit Strategy down the line…I was sure that show was a lock.

Most excited for: Terra Nova I guess…not really my cup of tea, but I’ll probably at least watch the first episode…same for Alcatraz…and then there’s Touch but only because it’s the in depth review I did based off nada and it got picked up so I really want to see if it will actually be good or not.

Biggest Disappointment: Weekends at Bellevue…wanted this to go, but I guess Fox is only big enough for one doctor (House)...maybe...next year?

Biggest Surprise: Exit Strategy not going (not disappointed by this, just a tad surprised).  I hear rumors this might still happen at some point.  Can’t say I’d cry if it never materializes, like I said, I’d love to see less CIA type stuff only because it hasn’t been doing all that well.

Overall: Except for Exit Strategy, everything seems pretty normal here, happy that Terra Nova is FINALLY getting off the ground…and hoping that Fox has some big/long lasting shows on the horizon.

NBC

I said they’d pick up: 5ish new dramas

They actually picked up : 5 (6 if you include that new redo of The Firm)...
Awake (this Inceptiony show was high profile but off my radar)
Grimm
Prime Suspect
Smash (!!!!!!!!!!)
The Playboy Club

How do I feel?: Pretty good…got 3/5 that I would have wanted.

How did I do?: The same…3/5…damn you Wonder Woman for being even WORSE than I thought you would be.

Most excited for: Smash!!!! This looks like the #1 new drama I want to see next season based on all the previews I’ve seen…well done NBC!  From the ashes!

Biggest Disappointment: I figured Wonder Woman would be the "genre" show NBC would pick up…not Grimm.  I was not into Grimm based off the logline and the trailer looks kinda silly (okay, really silly).  I stick by my original assessment.

Biggest Surprise: There are 2, first is that they didn’t roll the dice on Wonder Woman…can’t say I’m upset about this but I might have liked that better than Grimm.  The second is non-pilot related and that’s that Chuck is coming back…good for Chuck!

Overall: While Grimm still looks silly to me, Smash totally saves this for me.  Way to go NBC!  Totally exceeding expectations…Prime Suspect looks pretty good too.

THE CW

I said they’d pick up: 2-4 dramas depending on possible cancellations…probably only 2.

They actually picked up: 3 (cancelling Hellcats)...
Hart of Dixie
Ringer (was originally for CBS)
The Secret Circle

How do I feel?: Great…in my opinion the 2 best shows they developed got picked up.

How did I do?: Nailed it, 2/2, and while I didn’t predict Ringer going to the CW I did say that the show was not a good fit for CBS (I said maybe more for Fox but I think the CW is certainly a welcome home).  I can’t be too proud since odds were good I’d pick right for this network/there were only a couple pilots/it was no secret which shows were being pushed harder, but I’ll take it.

Biggest Disappointment: None…although I would have liked Georgetown to get a home somewhere and the CW having no interest while picking up Ringer bummed me out a little (as much as I could be bummed by a pilot I didn't actually see).

Biggest Surprise: I guess that Ringer went here, I didn’t see it coming, I just thought it would go nowhere.

Overall: The CW did as good as they could…I had some doubts about The Secret Circle I mentioned in my in depth preview, but I thought the trailer looked pretty darn good and put some of those questions to rest (it looks like there will be 2 guys on the show, not just one…which I think is essential).

And that’s that. To conclude, it’s all about Smash for me next season…I’ll probably try to catch everything new that interests me, but this is the one show I’m looking most forward to…too bad I have to wait til midseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment