Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Music in scripts - what NOT to do

Okay, so maybe I gave some mixed messages yesterday.  I said, “Go ahead, put music in your script, just remember there’s a big chance people will judge you poorly for it.”  Well then, allow me to point out good and not so good ways to use music in a script.  Today, the not so good…
I’d say the most cringe inducing use of music in a script (regardless of your personal taste in music) looks something like this:
MUSICAL MONTAGE - RICK SPRINGFIELD’S "JESSIE’S GIRL"
Bob watches longingly as Jessie and Jane fall in love.
I think the main problem is the song is working too hard while you are not.  By writing this, you’re saying: “I’m gonna take a break and let "Jessie’s Girl" tell you the story because I’m not a good enough writer to write a scene about a guy wanting another guy’s girl.”  Not that a "Jesse’s Girl" montage wouldn’t be great/funny/whatever, this choice just looks lazy. 
So, before you put a music choice in a script, ask yourself: Is this song doing the work my writing should be doing?  Am I relying on the song to tell my story or set a tone that wouldn’t exist otherwise?  If the answers to those questions are yes, I’d say scrap the song and focus on your WRITING instead.
Must...use..."Jessie's Girl"...can't...stop...myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment