Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Can you put music in your script?

So, you've seen movies or read scripts that use music and now you want to write something like:

MUSICAL MONTAGE - QUEEN'S "BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY"
OR
CREDITS ROLL OVER JAMES TAYLOR'S "FIRE AND RAIN"

But, you've probably heard that's a big no no….so what gives?  Can you put music in your script?  Thinking about yesterday's post on Love Actually (which is full of music) made me want to write this post and now I’m gonna be a little controversial and say the answer to that question is YES.

A Billy Mack hit is ALWAYS welcome in a script

The music question is really a stand in for a bigger question: Can I break the unwritten rules of screenwriting?  In other words, can I write a 140 page script?  Can I write an 80 page script?  Can I put in camera angles?  Can I say what characters are thinking?  Can I write my script in the 1st person? And so on.  The writers asking these questions usually want to break these rules and others (duh) but they’ve heard people say: DON’T DO IT!!!

So, why do I say yes?  Well, you’re the writer, even if you are a baby.  Write what you want to write!  If you want to include music because that’s your creative vision, then do it.  Some great scripts I've read break the music rule and I’d hate to discourage someone from writing something good because they were told they MUST MUST MUST do things a certain way.

BUT, be prepared for the consequences of your actions.  Baby writers can't get away with nearly as much rule breaking as pro writers.  So, what is breaking the rules worth to you?  If you do something that people say you shouldn’t (like assigning music choices) don’t be shocked or pissed if a friend/reader/people in general hate your rule breaking choice (or your taste in music).  Hollywood wants to find the next big thing, the money maker, the new fabulous talent, and it’s tough…if it was easy, every movie would be a critical and financial success.  People doubt their own taste sometimes…you enjoy a script you read that when made into an actual movie, totally blows (I’m still mad, P.S. I Love You).  So, if you see a “mistake” from a baby writer like telling us what song plays, it’s easy to feel more confident saying “this writer is an amateur”…PASS.

No comments:

Post a Comment